Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Housework abc's

aprons - y/n? Yes. I almost always wear them when I cook, though sometimes I forget to take them off when guests arrive. My favorite is one of my mom's that we gave to her when we were evil teenagers. It's yellow and it says "bitch bitch bitch" on the front.

baking - yes! I love baking cookies.

clothesline - y/n? Nope. Just a rod in the utility room where I hang things on hangers. And the deck railing is where I throw the big comforters when they come out of the wash to get that smell.

donuts - ever made them? Not since I was a little girl, but they're in my top 5 foods.

everyday - one homemaking thing you do everyday? Does making coffee count? Seriously, we split chores around here and Norris does almost all the dishes. I guess assembling a salad of some sort is my forte.

freezer - do you have a separate deep freezer? Yep and it's loaded with our new favorites - California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizzas (950 calories for the whole pie) and 40 calorie fudgesicles. Can you tell we're trying to lose a few?

garbage disposal - y/n? Yes. And the plumber told me not to put potato skins down there (as he was snaking out the drain literally 10 minutes before many many guests arrived.

handbook - y/n? Not sure what this means. Handbooks for all appliances and electronics are all in one place - if that's what they mean...Otherwise Martha Stewart.com is the source for all homemaking info I'll ever need.

ironing - love it or hate it? eh. It's ok, but I still have a bag of napkins that need to be ironed -this bag moved here with us from Pennsylvania in 1993.

junk drawer - where is it? In the utility room. We cleaned it after the kids went to college and you can find things now. Except for flashlights. They're all missing.

kitchen - design and decorating? We need an update. Typical 1991 oak cabinets, white tile counters and backsplash and white appliances. But I love the wall color - Devine Steamer - and we're going to splurge on a honking commercial range & double ovens, which will result in a complete remodel before we're through... coming soon. Still trying to determine the counter choice - which is leaning toward something that's not granite and is more industrial.

love - what is your favorite part of homemaking? Getting the house ready for the kids to come home, and for holiday dinners. The very best feeling of all.

mop - y/n? Not me. Thankfully, I have help in that department.

nylons - Seriously? Do I wear them? Heck no, nobody does anymore.

oven - do you use the window or open it to check? Open it.

pizza - what do you put on yours? Fresh tomatoes, roasted veggies, basil, mozzarella, sometimes mushrooms, onions, black olives or pepperoni if there are men eating.

quiet - what do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Read my latest book or fool around online.

recipe card box - big wooden box with 5x7 cards, plus an entire baker's rack filled with cookbooks. Not to mention epicurious.com.

style of house – Traditional

tablecloths and napkins - y/n? Yes - lots and lots of linens. (some in need of ironing and 18 napkins still missing at the cleaners....see? I should have done my own ironing, but then they'd be in that bag....)

under the kitchen sink – Cleaning supplies, trash and recycling.

vacuum - how many times a week? Thank goodness for Renee.

wash - how many loads do you do a week? About two. Saturday morning. Norris does 'em.

x’es - do you keep a list of things to do and cross them off? Not religiously, but if I'm especially crunched, I do.

yard - who does what? That's my territory. That's why it looks so bad. We all hate doing it but we love it when it looks pretty and we can have fresh cut flowers in the house. The HOA mows the lawn. I have to do all the flower beds and sometimes I get help from Sally or Victor.

zzz’s - what is your last homemaking task for the day? Let the dog out for one last time. g'night.

No comments: