Friday, July 10, 2009

New Law affects Home Sales

Last week the Governor signed a bill requiring that a carbon monoxide detector and alarm be installed in every home sold (limited on “one and two family homes or multifamily homes”). The bill was signed as an “emergency bill” which means it is in effect immediately.

So, starting now, all homes that have a carbon monoxide producing element (gas stove or oven, gas/oil furnace, fireplaces, gas water heater, etc.) must have an installed and active carbon monoxide alarm devise. Failure to have the devise in place at the time of transfer of title will not invalidate the transfer. The penalty for not having the devise in place at the time of transfer is $250 per incident or actual damages.

I'll try to locate the best, most cost-effective source for carbon monoxide detectors and have the information on hand. Please contact me to learn more.

No comments: